Monday, January 12, 2009

A New Year of Resolutions

With it being a new year and me being a wretched sinner and all, I have been thinking quite a bit about personal resolutions lately.

What could I resolve to do better this year? What aspects of my personality need to be completely reformed? What sins do I commit regularly? What will improve my walk with the Lord? What things that I could pray for, what are things that I could do that would be beautiful in the sight of God (and not in the world)? I sin so many times a day and God forgives me for each of these sins. He is SO merciful towards me and how do I repay him? All I can do is repent daily and choose to make my decisions based on his standards. I repent - but not nearly enough; I endeavor to do better, but not nearly enough.

To my amazement, our pastor on Sunday referred to Jonathan Edwards 70 Resolutions that he would read each week. The sermon wasn't even about resolutions, it was about prayer and encouragement and the sermon was derived from Romans 15:30-33. I couldn't help but wonder though, 70 resolutions by Jonathan Edwards? What are these resolutions? I did not know about these resolutions before Sunday (I know, shocker!) and as I read them today I could not help but be amazed with every resolution.

From now on, I resolve to create my own list of resolutions that I will read on a regular basis, in addition to reading Jonathan Edwards resolutions from time to time. Every time God teaches me some way I can glorify him with my life, I will write it down. This will serve as my own personal reminder to keep God the central focus of my life, and not myself.

As for your average New Years Resolutions list, I did resolve 20 tasks to accomplish this year and you can find this on my Biblical Homekeeping blog - you can my list here.

You can read the full list of Jonathan Edwards resolutions here. I highly recommend it!

.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I recently received something in the mail that had portions of the Edwards resolutions on it. I can't remember what it was but what I did read was great. Blessing to you and yours this new year!