Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Purpose of this Blog


Question to Ponder:
Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?

I heard that question last night as part of The Truth Project. It has got me thinking - what would we look like if we really believed that everything we believe is really real? Can you imagine what life would be like with complete confidence in the word of God? Do we really understand that what it says is true? Do any of us really live like that?


This blog is about growing in holiness, spiritual strength, and spiritual discernment. It is an outlet for the things that I learn and how I interpret those to be true or false, biblical or unbiblical. If this blog benefits or blesses anyone else, that is wonderful! If it offends someone, I hope it offends for the right reasons, otherwise I apologize - for I am a sinner and in no way am I perfect. Overall though, much of the stuff I write about is simply me trying to understand something.

I am constantly learning things. We learn and are influenced by more than we realize in this culture. We are constantly learning new things each day. Whether it be through the Bible, through a book, a church sermon, a Bible Study, advise from someone, TV shows & movies, or events that occur in our lives. We obtain so much information each day and we are constantly learning.

I believe the most important thing we must do as humans is to learn the ways of God. The creator of the universe did more for us (his people) that we can even comprehend and the least we can do is devote our lives to pleasing the Lord.

"We must do the hard work of exercising discernment - sentence by sentence,
paragraph by paragraph, argument by argument. Facts, insights, perspectives,
and methods must all be tested in the light of the principles of Scripture." - Dennis E. Johnson

I find myself letting a lot of things slide. As an example: I will think, "Well, God knows where my heart is. So I can go watch this movie, because even though it blasphemes the name of God repeatedly, He knows that I don't agree with that." Seriously, I do this all the time with not just movies but many aspects of life. That is the wrong way of thinking. Everything that I do needs to be for the glory of God! The way we treat truth is so different from the way Jesus treated it. We say that we will drop everything and follow our Lord Jesus Christ, but do we do it? Seriously? Is God really the focus our our life or is he just part of it?

The topic of discernment is a difficult one because it can be very subjective. In many cases, when the issue is not of God-spoken sin, it is up to the person to discern what is right and what is wrong for them. However, if God has spoken, then it is what it is. If the Bible, read in proper context, says that something is a sin, there is no room for argument because God has spoken. This is why you need to consult the scriptures with everything.

What is Discernment?

"Discernment is the ability to think biblically about all areas of life." - Tim Challies

"Discernment is the process of making careful distinctions in our thinking about
truth. The discerning person is the one who draws a clear contrast between
truth and error." John MacArthur

"Discernment is the ability to see through the apparent to the actual." - Dr. Mike


Here are a few verses about discernment:

Rom 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your
mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and
acceptable and perfect.

Job 34:4 - So let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good.

Ecc 11:5 - God's ways are as hard to discern as the pathways of the wind, and as mysterious as a tiny baby being formed in a mother's womb.

1Cr 12:3 - So I want you to know how to discern what is truly from God: No one speaking by the Spirit of God can curse Jesus, and no one is able to say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

-Shaina
.

No comments: